Saturday, November 11, 2006

Painting in Maui












Sorry about the previous rant. I just had to get it off my chest so I could talk about the more pleasant aspects of painting while vacationing. For this five day trip I took:
  • a pocket box (I fill it with my own colors)


  • plastic mixing pan about 7" x 10"


  • foldable water "bucket"


  • three brushes in their own case


  • 12" x 16" block of paper


  • mechanical pencil (never needs sharpening)


  • plastic container with my paint tubes


  • small natural sponge


  • one bottle of water for each painting


  • kneadable eraser


  • paper towels


  • hat, shades, sunscreen
My partner Sarah, is very supportive. She usually takes a novel and reads while I work. Sometimes she also keeps tourists or gawkers at a reasonable distance. All are very polite, but they are all so curious they will start conversations if given a chance. I also try not to work alone in remote places for safety reasons. When I am working, I am so focused I cannot pay attention to my surroundings.

I did six paintings. The Haleakala crater was the most demanding. Temperature up there at 10,000 feet drops 30 degrees and my hands froze despite the anorak I was wearing. There were tourists all around, trying to get the best picture. A woman sat next to me and proceeded to interrogate me about the origins of my accent. And the Arches paper was getting on my nerves.

The beach, by contrast, was easy. I was sitting in the shade, on a mat, and there were very few people around. The light changed fast, but I've gotten used to this. The water was an incredible turquoise blue, and the vocanic rock was so black I used Payne's Gray as the first layer. By then I had been in Maui for almost 48 hours and felt ready to tackle the colors.

No comments: